Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Why the “Green that works”, is boring?

 

Green is certainly in hype. I recently finished the book “Hot, Flat and Crowded” by Thomas L. Friedman, and one of it subjects left me thinking. It says, in so many word’s that green should be boring if it suppose to work or bring some benefits. And I agree with it. I’ll tell you why. I have been selling energy savings solutions in my country, were the longest Return Of Investment is between 6 and 12 months. But the great majority of the projects ROI’s are in less than 6 months. Even though this is very much attractive,  people are still hesitant to make a decision. I think is because the decision will bring change and the responsibility of that change. And also is because its boring stuff. This change is definitely for the good since in all of these projects we improved the light levels and air temperature is more comfortable and stable. But this does not excite people enough.

To get them to YES! A lot of marketing and selling is involve. People get convinced by themselves, with a little help of the salesperson. That is the reason why I think we have to bring excitement in to the energy savings solutions that we present. Because in the end, the solutions are parts and merchandize that are very boring if you present it like a simple bill of material or list.

We will keep commenting on this book and other books that we read. In the mean time we recommend that you pick up a copy of this great book and start doing something about a real green revolution. We have already started.

No comments: